Welcome to the Future

Welcome to the Future

Mea Maxima Culpa

This afternoon I noticed that my family owns an official Avengers 3.8L metal can. I have no idea why. I was going to write something sad/sarcastic about the human toil involved in making such an ephemeral object. I went to look at their website, to attempt to figure out exactly what this can is. Popcorn container? But it’s metal? Small trash can? Who pitched that as a promotional idea? And I had all kinds of mocking observations at the ready.

So I navigate to the Products page and it displayed some samples and the first thought in my head was “OMG Is that Nakatomi Plaza?!” And I looked closer and OMG it was indeed a small scale model of Nakatomi Plaza from the movie Die Hard.

And so: this is something of a confession and apology. I’m guilty of being as snooty and judgmental as the worst of them. I feel pretty bad about it. I came to mock but found that creativity can blossom in places you’d never expect it. Seriously: this is a lesson I’ll remember.